Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War has just released, but Zombies aficionados have already figured out the Die Maschine Easter egg. In this guide, we’ll outline the steps required to complete the quest with visual assistance from some of the best Zombies players in the scene. If you want some text in conjunction with a succinct video walkthrough, we’ve got you covered.
In addition to the words and clips we’re about to share, we might also suggest turning on the optional hints feature as well. That should get you through a struggle in case these multiple sources fail you. You should also go into this guide with a fairly strong knowledge of Die Maschine’s layout as well.
Power and Pack-a-Punch
The video for this section arrives courtesy of MrRoflWaffles on YouTube. If you like their amazing work, make sure to give them a subscription or like.
- Just like all recent Zombies Easter egg quests, this one mandates turning on the power and Pack-a-Punch machines first. To get to the power, follow the path from Yard > Omega Outpost > “Bedroom” > Crash Site > Tunnel > Control Room > Medical Bay > Particle Accelerator and hit the big red button to turn on the Main Power.
- There’s a kiosk on the left and right sides of the big Particle Accelerator room. Interact with both of them, and a portal will spawn in the middle of the room. Interact with it.
- In the dark world, follow the waypoint to the Aether tunnel. It’s marked by a big, purple circle on the ground. Interact with it. You’ll fall down into a room with a Machine Part you can pick up.
- Go back to the portal location, and you’ll see the outline of the Pack-a-Punch machine. Place the part in it, and you’ll be teleported back with the machine in use.
Die Maschine Easter egg steps
With those basics out of the way, it’s time to get to the proper Easter egg steps. To augment our work, check out the video below from MrDalekJD as well. If you like what they do, it doesn’t hurt to subscribe.
- Once Pack-a-Punch has been enabled, a new portal will spawn that’s marked on the mini-map by a diamond-shaped icon with a star inside. Go through the portal.
- Your next step is to find three Aetherscope parts that can spawn in any order. One part can be found by the stairs in the Yard (spawn), another is atop the plane in the Crash Site and a third is in the Particle Accelerator room near the fast travel point. From there you can leave the dark world and build the Aetherscope at the bench near Pack-a-Punch.
- Go to the next portal that spawns on your map and look for an old computer in Medical Bay. You’ll see Doctor Vogal’s Diary sitting there.
- Three Spectral Anomalies (or ghosts) will spawn as orbs. Interact with them to make them appear and give them the diary. One is near some shelves in the Medical Bay, one is in the trial area of the Control Room and a third is near the bench you used to craft the Aetherscope.
- In the regular world, go back to the Medical Bay computer and interact with it to enter the password.
For the next part of the Easter egg, you need at least one D.I.E. Shockwave Wonder Weapon with all its upgrades. Find out how to get them below.
How to get the D.I.E. Shockwave and its upgrades
- Kill one of the green Megaton zombies and the pair of foes it splits into. Pick up the Keycard dropped by one of them.
- Take the card to the big machine in the Weapons Lab near the Mystery Box. You’ll get the D.I.E. Remote Control in return.
- Go to “Living Room” and head to the hole in the wall that has “PL” in graffiti written below it.
- This turns on the machine. Get up to 30 zombie kills to fill it with souls. Once you’ve done it, go back to the hole to unleash the weapon.
- If you’ve done everything right up to this point, you should see a portal in the Pond area. Go through it.
- At the Crash Site, melee the box below the hovering aircraft. It will add a cartridge to your inventory.
- Quickly go to the Weapons Lab before your Aether expires and interact with the Plasma Cutter across from the perk machine with the big skull on it.
- Back in the real world, go to the Pond and you’ll see the upgrade on the back of a truck.
- Start by going to the Particle Accelerator room and enter the portal under Pack-a-Punch. For this task you need to suck energy from three crystals using the left trigger attack of the D.I.E.
- There’s one on the roof in “Bedroom” near Stamin’ Up. A second is right of the Mystery Box in the Pond. The third is near the cave in Crash Site.
- After collecting each individual crystal, go to the bottom floor of Particle Accelerator and look for a box in the southwest corner. After shooting it, go for the next crystal and come back. Do it three times and the Electrobolt is yours.
- In the “Penthouse” area, there’s a box on the edge of the Pond. Shoot it with the D.I.E.
- Hop down to the Pond area where the box falls, and an Empty Flask will be in its place.
- Wait for a Megaton to spawn, and lure it to the purple Mutated Fungus bulge that appears on a tree near you in Crash Site. Get the Megaton to fire sludge at the tree.
- Interact with the Mutated Fungus to “collect Cryogenic Liquid.” Wait at least 30 seconds, and you’ll come back to the flask to find it’s full and listed as a Filled Flask.
- Near the door between Medical Bay and Particle Accelerator you’ll find a box with chains. Interact with it, and the upgrade is complete.
- Go to the “Mezzanine” area and look at the second-floor overhang of Nacht. You’ll see a small bottle you can suck up with the D.I.E.
- In the weapons lab near the Deadshot perk, you’ll find a Cleaning Unit machine to the west. Now kill a Plaguehound dog near it. Pick up the Plaguehound Gas that emerges.
- Interact with the box near the plane wing at Crash Site then melee it.
Easter Egg Part 2
- Getting back to the main Easter Egg steps, go to the huge tube at Medical Bay and shoot each of its nozzles with a corresponding element shot from the fully upgraded D.I.E.
- A portal appears between Medical Bay and Particle Accelerator. Go inside.
- In Medical Bay near the Speed Cola perk you’ll find another ghost scene. Activate it, and a Dark Aether Wrench will spawn when you leave the portal.
- Wrench in hand, go to the Tank in the Yard and use the tool four times on the vehicle in designated spots.
- Throw a frag grenade inside the tank hole. If done right the tank will smoke.
- At Crash Site near Stamin Up, you’ll see a large circular object. Pick it up and take it to the Medical Bay where you picked up the wrench. You won’t be able to fire your weapons while doing this.
- Next, split a Megaton in two and lead the duo to the object you just dropped off.
- Finally, all players must interact with the Medical Bay computer.
- A huge swarm of zombies will arrive as soon as the cinematic ends, so get outside as quickly as possible.
- At this point, do all you need to prepare for the boss. Get some good weapons and have some points to spare for ammo purchases.
- Go to “Living Room,” enter the portal and interact with the spectre at Omega Outpost. He’ll talk to you and leave the Orlov Family Photo behind. When you take it the boss fight begins.
- To fight the boss, simply protect it from three incredibly difficult phases of zombies. Cooperate with your team and make great use of the Electrobolt.
- Once the fight is over, avoid the lightning and take the last 90 seconds to make your way to the Pond. If you do it right, the Easter egg is complete.
That’s all you need to know about Die Maschine in Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Zombies.
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is available now on PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and PC.
What do you think of Black Ops Cold War Zombies so far? How far did you get in the Easter egg quest? Tell us in the comments section!